
Yes, I realize Thanksgiving happened several weeks ago, but I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to tell you about my Thanksgiving celebration. So I figured it was better late than never, so please bear with me. I thought I would be ok spending Thanksgiving away from home this year, since I had done it several times before, once while I was in Venezuela and twice out in California while I was studying at Fuller. However, for some reason this Thanksgiving was actually pretty hard. Though my roommates and I had tried to make the day fun by eating a big breakfast and even going to the opening night of New Moon, the movie we had been waiting to see, I still ended up breaking down, just wishing I could be home enjoying the deliciousness that is Thanksgiving in the Tolman Barn.

(yes, its true, my family and I celebrate Thanksgiving in a barn.) Even though theThanksgiving Day held more tears than normal for me, the following Sunday, when we celebrated as a community, more than compensated for it. We celebrated Thanksgiving together in the school where I teach Physical Education. The spread was amazing as everyone contributed something. And since 7 of my volleyball friends came to join me, I finally understood what my mom goes through each holiday, as she has to make enough food to compensate for the number of mouths that are coming to the table. I made a gigantic vat of mashed potatoes, heated up some corn and whipped up an extra sweet apple crisp dessert. I was so excited for my v-ball friends to come, experience a truly American Thanksgiving and to meet all my other friends and “family.”

And after seeing the movies and sitcoms portray Thanksgiving with its turkey, cranberry sauce, and American football, the girls were equally excited. I discovered though, that their perceptions of Thanksgiving revolved around the idea of the day just being for family, and though that is a big part of the day for many, it is actually a day to give thanks to God for his faithfulness to us. A colleague of mine shared this very important message and then offered a chance for people to share what they were thankful for.

I was touched when one of my volleyball players stood up and shared that she was grateful for the change in her life, for the opportunity to be on our team, meet me and come to the Thanksgiving gathering. I then stood up and shared how I was so grateful for my friends, this group of volleyball girls who accepted me and continued to include me realizing that they didn’t have to! I shared how grateful I was that God would provide me with such good friends here in a foreign country. After I was finished, I looked down and saw tears forming in the eyes of my girls! It was such a neat opportunity for me to really share with the girls what they mean to me as well as introduce them to the One my thanksgiving goes to. This is quickly becoming my most favorite of holidays!!
No comments:
Post a Comment